What is Glaucoma and How Can It Be Prevented?
Glaucoma. You’ve probably heard of it before. You probably know it has something to do with the eyes, but what is it exactly? How serious is it, and could you be affected by it? Let’s get some of those questions answered.
What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a condition that causes damage to your eye’s optic nerve. Typically, it’s caused by built up fluid causing pressure on the front part of your eye, irritating the optic nerve, which is the part of your eye that sends images to your brain. Over time, if the pressure is not relieved, glaucoma can cause blindness. In fact, it’s the leading cause of blindness in people over the age of 60.
What Causes Glaucoma?
Anyone can get glaucoma, but it tends to be passed down from parents to children. It happens when the natural fluid that flows through channels in your eye gets blocked, the liquid starts to build up, causing pressure which leads to the damage of the optic nerve – known as glaucoma.
- Severe Eye Infection
- Chronic Inflammation
- Blocked Blood Vessels
- Age (after 40 your risk goes up)
- High Blood Pressure
Can I Prevent Glaucoma?
There are things you can do to lessen your vision loss from glaucoma and prevent total blindness.
- Regular Checkups – There are no real signs of symptoms of glaucoma, so it’s important to get checked. If you have glaucoma or any type of vision loss, you should see an eye doctor regularly. Your doctor can monitor the pressure in your eye and prescribe medications to help lower it if necessary.
- Glaucoma Pellets – Taking natural homeopathic eye pellets (they are tablets that dissolve on your tongue) can help decrease the pressure build up in your eye. We recommend Glaucoma Pellets Homeopathic Medicine from Natural Ophthalmics.
- Sun Protection – Preventing overexposure to the sun can help keep your eyes healthy. When outdoors, where sunglasses and a hat to keep the sun out of your eyes.
- Prevent Dry Eye – Keeping your eyes moisturized could help prevent a blockage. Using a prescription strength moisturizer such as Ortho-K Thin (Daytime) Eye Drops may help.
- Prevent High Blood Pressure – Keeping a normal blood pressure is good for your eyes and your heart. Blood pressure supplements such as Blood Pressure Support from Herb Pharm can help keep it in a normal range.
- Healthy Lifestyle – Eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of exercise are part of preventing all kinds of illnesses, including glaucoma. Also, consider adding a high quality multivitamin to your daily supplement routine.
Glaucoma is a serious condition, which can cause total blindness. Take as many precautions as you can, especially if you have a family history of glaucoma. You only have one set of eyes!