Mediterranean Steak Bowl – The Real Food Dietitians
This Mediterranean Steak Bowl with Herbed-Yogurt Dressing is proof that food served in bowls just tastes better. A bed of crisp greens and veggies provides the perfect contrast to creamy hummus, sweet grilled tomatoes, and tender steak. And the dressing plus a sprinkle of salty feta cheese brings it all together for a restaurant-quality meal at home.
All the textures + All the flavors
Layering textures and flavors is probably the best part about ‘bowls.’ It makes every bite just a little different to keep things interesting. In this Mediterranean Steak Bowl with Herbed-Yogurt Dressing, perfectly grilled steak is presented on a bed of crisp romaine lettuce and a silky swirl of garlicky hummus while charred red onions and blistered cherry tomatoes mix with crunchy, cool cucumbers for a healthy dose of veggies in a rainbow of colors. And if that garlicky hummus wasn’t enough, you’ll also find a handful of briny kalamata olives and a sprinkle of salty feta along with fresh mint and a generous squeeze of lemon – it all comes together so beautifully, as you’ll see.
And it gets even better.
The Herbed-Yogurt Dressing might seem kind of ‘extra’ with everything that’s already going on here, but trust me, it’s just the thing to tie it all together and it also makes a great veggie dip for snacking later in the week if you happen to have any leftover (or decide to make a double batch, which is a really good idea).
This post contains affiliate links that won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Mediterranean Steak Bowl Ingredients
- Flank steak – May substitute NY strip or sirloin steak or use your favorite cut. Chicken can also be used in place of steak if desired.
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Red onion – May substitute a yellow or sweet onion
- Romaine lettuce – Any kind of salad green will work so use what you have on hand or what you like (green or red leaf, spinach, baby kale, ‘power’ greens, etc.)
- Kalamata olives – Look for pitted, sliced olives to cut down on prep time
- Hummus – Use our homemade garlic hummus or use your favorite store-bought hummus of choice
- Feta cheese
- Oil – We recommend avocado oil or olive oil (Save 10% on all Primal Kitchen with code REALFOODRDS)
- Plain yogurt – To make this dairy-free, substitute your favorite plain, unsweetened non-dairy yogurt or canned coconut cream (and omit the feta cheese)
- Oregano – Use fresh or dried
- Dill – Use fresh or dried
- Mint – Use fresh or dried
- Salt & Pepper
Other Items You’ll Need:
- Skewers – If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling. We love these metal skewers because they’re reusable and no soaking required!
- Grill or Oven with broiler
- Large, rimmed baking sheet
Want to know more about How to Choose Quality Red Meat? Check out this post
How to Make Mediterranean Steak Bowls
Step 1: Make the Herb-Yogurt Dressing by combining all of the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Step 2: Preheat the grill (or broiler) then prep the steak by patting it dry with paper towels and sprinkling both sides with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Thread the tomatoes and onions onto the skewers. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Grill (or broil) the steak and veggie skewers until the steak is cooked to your liking and the vegetables lightly charred.
Step 5: While the steak and veggies are cooking, assemble the bowls by placing a dollop of hummus in each bowl then layering the salad greens, cucumbers, olives, and feta cheese.
Step 6: While the steak rests, slide the veggies off the skewers into the bowls. Thinly slice the steak across the grain and divide it among the bowls. Drizzle with herb-yogurt dressing and enjoy.
How to Prep Mediterranean Steak Bowls Ahead of Time
Because this Mediterranean Steak Bowl is more salad than not, it’s perfect for meal prepping and since everything can be served cold there’s no need to reheat – just eat! Here’s how to make it meal-prep friendly for those weeks when you know you’ll need a quick dinner or lunch:
- Grill the steak and veggies (tomatoes and onions). Once the steak has rested, been sliced, and allowed to cool, place it in a covered container in the fridge along with the grilled veggies.
- Chop the cucumbers and romaine lettuce. Store in covered containers in the fridge until ready to use.
- Make the Herbed-Yogurt Dressing and store in a covered container in the fridge (we like mason jars with these lids for easy, leak-proof pouring) for up to 5 days.
- Whip up a batch of our 5-Ingredient Easy Garlic Hummus and store in the fridge for snacking and these bowls (it makes a bunch and it’s way more budget-friendly than those little tubs in the store).
When it’s time to serve, just assemble your Mediterranean Steak Bowl with Herbed-Yogurt Dressing according to the recipe directions below and enjoy. The bowls may also be fully assembled ahead of time in and stored in glass meal prep containers like these for a quick grab-and-go lunch.
So easy, what are you waiting for?
For the Bowls:
- 1 lb. flank steak (may substitute NY strip or sirloin steak)
- 1 pint (10 ounces) grape or cherry tomatoes
- ½ medium red onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped (~10-12 cups)
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 cup garlic hummus (or store-bought hummus of choice)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Skewers for veggies
- 2 tsp. oil of choice (such as avocado oil or olive oil)
- Lemon wedges and/or torn fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
For the Herbed-Yogurt Dressing:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh mint (or ½ tsp dried mint)
To make the dressing:
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Store in the fridge until ready to use, up to 5 days.
To make the bowls:
- Preheat grill to high heat (about 450℉).
- Pat the steak dry with paper towels and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Thread cherry tomatoes and quartered onions onto skewers, brush with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- When the grill is hot, place flank steak and tomato and onion skewers on the grill. Grill veggies, turning occasionally, for 5-8 minutes or until onions are softened and tomatoes start to blister.
- Grill the steak for 4-5 minutes, then flip and grill an additional 4-5 minutes for medium-rare (6-7 minutes per side for medium) or until an instant-read thermometer reads 140℉ for medium-rare or 150℉ for medium.
- Remove steak to a plate and cover loosely with another plate, or oil and allow steak to rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- While the steak rests, divide chopped romaine between 4 plates or shallow bowls. Top with sliced steak, grilled vegetables, hummus, chopped cucumbers, olives, and feta cheese.
- Drizzle with Herbed-Yogurt Dressing and garnish with lemon wedges and/or torn fresh mint leaves
If you don’t have a grill, you can use the broiler:
Set the broiler to high and position the top oven rack 6-8 inches from the broiler. Place the steak and veggie skewers on a large, rimmed baking sheet and broil until steak is to your liking and veggies are slightly charred. Cooking time may vary from the directions for grilling depending on how hot the broiler is.
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 513
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 819mg
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 37g
Pin it now and make it later!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!