How to Make Non-Toxic Candles With Essential Oils
Whether you’re someone who wants non-toxic fragrance alternatives, someone looking for a new crafty DIY hobby, or someone looking ahead for creative holiday gifts, then one surprisingly easy project to consider is making your own non-toxic candles with essential oils.
Why Non-Toxic Candles?
That latest candle you impulse purchased on your last shopping trip may actually contain ingredients that are harmful to your health. The EPA notes that both incense and candles are a source of potential indoor air pollution, in part because candles with lead core wicks can lead to higher levels of lead in the air. Not only that, but they can emit chemicals including formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, and acrolein in amounts that are “far above acceptable EPA recommended levels.”
While many store-bought candles may advertise that they contain some level of natural ingredients, it can be difficult to find 100% clean candles. But luckily, it isn’t too difficult to make them yourself!
How to Make Non-Toxic Candles with Essential Oils
No matter what type of candle you make, there are four basic ingredients you’ll always need for a non-toxic essential oil candle:
- A container.
- A wick.
- Essential oil (for optional fragrance).
For non-toxic candles, here are things to remember as you choose your wick, wax, and container.
- Wick: Avoid any lead-core wicks. We recommend going with 100% cotton candle wicks, which are easy to find for purchase online.
- Wax: Two of the best natural options for non-toxic candles are natural soy wax or beeswax. Avoid paraffin wax.
- Container: You can be creative with this one. While you can buy a new candle jar or container, you can also feel free to reuse containers you have at home: old mason jars, mugs, pots, cups, and more can all be a great candle container.
- Essential Oils: Choose whatever scents you love. Just make sure that your essential oils are 100% pure and free of any additional perfume or fragrance.
The remaining supplies that you’ll need to help make your candles are.
- Glue gun, tape, or wick stickers.
- A stick, pencil, straw, or small rod to hold the wick in the center of the melted wax.
- A crockpot and crockpot liners, or a double-boiler.
- Cooking thermometer.
Basic Instructions for DIY Non-Toxic Soy Candles
- 1 pound soy wax (this will make approximately two 8 ounce candles, though you’ll probably have some remaining wax)
- Up to 1 ounce (or 1-1/2 teaspoons) of your choice of pure essential oils. Pure essential oils smell much more strongly than synthetic, though, so start with ¼ ounce or ½ ounce and add more as needed.
How to Make It
- Melt 1 pound of soy wax, either in a crockpot (use a crockpot liner) or a double boiler. Either way, heat the wax until it reaches 185 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add essential oils, stir well, and remove from heat.
- While wax cools, place a dab of hot glue dab or a wick sticker at the bottom of your jars.
- Once the wax has cooled to 135 degrees Fahrenheit, pour the wax evenly into your two jars/cups/containers.
- Use a straw, pencil, or a clothespin to keep your wick standing up straight in the hot wax as it cools and hardens.
- Let the candles cool at room temperature overnight.
- Once the candles have cooled and hardened overnight, trim the wick to ¼” before lighting (do this each time you light).
- Light and enjoy your first non-toxic candles!
If you’re looking for a few essential oil scents or sets to get you started on your non-toxic candle journey, start with the “Let There Be Peace and Quiet Essential Oils Kit” from NOW Foods and the “Organic Essential Oil Starter Kit” from Garden of Life.
Let There Be Peace and Quiet Essential Oils Kit From NOW Foods
Make your non-toxic candles fill your home with the four peaceful, calming scents featured in the Let There Be Peace and Quiet Essential Oils Kit from NOW Foods. The kit features three essential oils and one essential oil blend, all ideal for promoting rest and relaxation: lavender essential oil, eucalyptus essential oil, peppermint essential oil, and the Peaceful Sleep Blend, which combines the soothing scents and properties of orange, tangerine, lavender, chamomile, ylang-ylang, and sandalwood essential oils.
Organic Essential Oil Starter Kit From Garden of Life
Another essential oil starter kit ideal for non-toxic candles is the Organic Essential Oil Starter Kit from Garden of Life. This four-pack of essential oils contains lemon essential oil, tea tree essential oil, peppermint essential oil, and lavender essential oil. Each bottle of essential oil is 100% organic, pure, and Non-GMO project verified. Use these scents separately or in combination for promoting calm, balance, serenity, and relaxation.
What essential oils do you love for making your own non-toxic candles?