Try These Yoga Poses for Circulation
For beginners and pros alike, practicing yoga has a number of potential health benefits. Just a few of these potential benefits may include the following.
- Increased flexibility, muscle strength, and tone.
- Improved respiration and energy.
- Supporting maintaining a balanced metabolism.
- Supporting cardio and circulatory health.
- Support for protection from injury.
- Support for managing stress.
- Support for a general sense of well-being.
According to the American Heart Association, not only can certain yoga practices help lower blood pressure, increase lung capacity, improve respiratory function, improve heart rate, boost muscle tone, and improve circulation.
Have you wanted to know which yoga poses you can incorporate that will support circulation? Read on for more suggestions for yoga poses for circulation.
Yoga Poses for Circulation
Yoga increases blood flow and levels of hemoglobin and red blood cells, which allows for more oxygen to reach the body cells, enhancing their function.
Specific poses that involve the body, either twisting or inverting, may particularly benefit circulation. According to the National Institutes of Health, twisting poses “wring out venous blood from internal organs and allow oxygenated blood to flow in when the twist is released.” On the other hand, inversion poses “encourage venous blood flow from the legs and pelvis back to the heart and then pumped through the lungs where it becomes freshly oxygenated.”
With that in mind, here are some twisting yoga poses for circulation and some inversion yoga poses for circulation you might consider.
Twisting Yoga Poses for Circulation
The types of twisting yoga poses you are able to safely do will depend on your level of yoga practice. That being said, there are strategies for twisting yoga poses that beginners to experts can utilize. Before going on, however, only attempt poses you can do safely. If you have limited mobility or existing injuries, feel pain or experience other problems, stop. Yoga can lead to injury and you should consult with your primary care physician to learn about the risks and dangers. Remember, yoga can be deceptively difficult on the body!
Before and during any kind of twist pose, follow these tips to stay safe and comfortable, and get the most out of the poses.
- Elongate your trunk while you inhale.
- Relax before turning or twisting.
- Exhale while turning.
To help with elongating and relaxing during twisting yoga poses, first practice the following.
- Sit cross-legged with your pelvis and upper back against a wall.
- Place your hands on the floor (or a blanket beside your hips).
- While inhaling, push your hands and chin down while you press the back of your head into the wall and up. At the same time, keep your shoulders down as you feel your chest lift.
- Keeping your spine tall and continuing to have your hands pressing down, exhale fully but gently, completely softening your belly, ribs, and back.
Twisting Yoga Poses for Circulation
Your ability to attempt any of these poses will depend on your level of fitness and yoga mastery.
Follow each link for more instructions on how to do these poses.
- Jathara Parivartanasana (Revolved Abdomen pose).
- Parivrtta Parsvakonasana (Revolved Side Angle Pose).
- Ardha Matsyendrasana I (Half Lord of the Fishes Pose I).
- Ardha Matsyendrasana II (Half Lord of the Fishes Pose II).
- Parsva Halasana (Side Shoulder Stand pose).
Inverted Yoga Poses for Circulation
Again, only attempt these if you have the level of fitness, flexibility, and expertise to do so.
- Ardha Pincha Mayurasana (Dolphin Pose).
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog).
- Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand pose).
- Salamba Sirsasana I (Supported Headstand pose).
More ways to continue supporting circulation, heart health, and relaxation can include health supplements from Quality of Life and Premier Research Labs.
Ameal BP Peptide
Containing a proprietary peptide blend that seeks to support healthy blood pressure levels already in the normal range, Ameal BP from Quality of Life is a health supplement that may also support arterial health and flexibility. Since peptides may also have positive benefits on blood pressure levels, taking a supplement may support healthy blood pressure levels already in the normal range.
Cardio-ND with Cardiovascular-Associated Nutrients
Cardio-ND by Premier Research Labs is a natural supplement for cardiovascular support that uses a probiotic-derived formula. Two of the main ingredients in Cardio-ND are curcumin and motherwort. Curcumin is a spice with several factors that are potentially beneficial to cardiovascular health. Motherwort is known to calm excess energy that courses through the heart. Together with the other ingredients in this formulation, Cardio-ND delivers comprehensive support for the cardiovascular system.
What are your favorite yoga poses for circulation?